“Charity sees the need, not the cause.”
― German Proverb
The Colchester Food Shelf currently has 7 volunteer board members and about 40 volunteers that give their time in several different ways to serve the food shelf and its clients. Some duties handled by our generous volunteers include:
- Staffing the food shelf to assist clients with their monthly shopping visit with 5-6 volunteers per shift
- Logging in clients and providing shopping lists
- Filling shopping lists and loading groceries into vehicles
- Weighing, checking expiration dates, and shelving food donations
- Other jobs requiring immediate attention, such as general cleaning, stocking shelves, and overseeing deliveries to the food shelf
- Checking in large orders (some weekly and some monthly)
- Record-keeping (immediate food needs, information for the next shift of volunteers, etc.)
- Making weekly pickups at local businesses for food donations, milk and eggs, fresh vegetables in the summer, fruit, etc.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors is made up of volunteers who have a passion for helping the Colchester community. All members of the Board of Directors are volunteers.